A leak in the garbage disposal can do a significant amount of damage to the cabinets underneath the sink, which can eventually lead to the need for mold removal and the replacement of the cabinet itself. This is why it's important to address the leak right away. In some cases, it can be a simple repair while in other situations it may require a complete replacement. Here's what you should know:
When the Garbage Disposal Can be Repaired:
- The Connection to the Drain Line is Damaged: If the leak is coming from the connection between the drain line and garbage disposal, then it can be repaired. You can simply replace the pipe or seal it. You might want to have a professional replace the pipe for you since it can be a bit of a task. If you do manage it on your own, just be sure to turn the water off.
- The Connection to the Dishwasher: Another area that leaks can sometimes spring up is in the connection between the garbage disposal and the dishwasher. In this situation, you can also either replace the pipe or seal it. Definitely consider replacing the pipe if the leak is large enough that sealing won't hold for very long.
- The Seal From the Sink to the Disposal: There is a seal that goes from the sink to the garbage disposal and this can sometimes be the cause for a leak. Many times, the seal can just be resealed with plumber's putty.
When the Garbage Disposal Needs Replacing:
- The Motor Stops Working: Garbage disposals, like any other appliance in the home is not going to last forever, which is why it might need to be replaced. At some point, the motor will stop working altogether, so it's important that you are taking your plumber's advice at this point for replacing the disposal.
- There's a Crack in the Disposal: If there's a crack in the garbage disposal itself, then it needs replacing at this point, as well. Many times, homeowners will attempt to seal the crack. However, this often doesn't hold for very long at all. It's much better to save yourself some time and replace the disposal altogether at this point.
When you know some of the reasons to replace or repair your garbage disposal, you can move forward with the process in the right way so that you know you are putting your money into it correctly. Contact a service, like Cove Plumbing Inc , for more help.